Madison Co. split diamond project to start Thursday | Transportation
MADISON COUNTY, MS (WLBT) - Work is scheduled to start Thursday on the Split Diamond Project in Madison County.
The project will reconstruct a section of Interstate 55 from Old Agency Road in Ridgeland to State Route 463 in Madison, while constructing a split diamond interchange between Madison Avenue and the proposed Colony Park Boulevard, according to the Mississippi Department of Transportation.
This project will include:
- Addition of two lanes to the interstate in each direction for a total of eight lanes
- Addition of frontage roads to the interstate between Old Agency Interchange and Madison Avenue
- Widening of a portion of Madison Avenue to five (5) lanes
- Construction of a portion of the new Colony Park Boulevard
- Sunnybrook Road improvements
- Reconstruction of the Sunnybrook Road and Jackson Street intersection
- Widening of Jackson Street
According to MDOT, once work begins, construction must be completed on the Sunnybrook Road improvements, the Sunnybrook Road/Jackson Street intersection reconstruction, Jackson Street widening, I-55 Northbound off ramp, and new east frontage road between Jackson Street and Steed Road by Aug. 3.
Starting Thursday, there could be lane closures on the interstate between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. and lane closures for non-interstate work Monday through Saturday between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Traffic will be placed head-to-head depending on the active phase of construction.
The project is expected to be completed by November 2014.
Copyright 2012 WLBT. All rights reserved.